Chief Operating Officer
Posted on: November 22, 2022
Chief Operating Officer
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of
humanity.Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we
spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the
climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries
and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International
partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous
peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive
Conservation International seeks an experienced, dynamic leader as
its next Chief Operating Officer (COO) to bring vision, direction,
and leadership for its global operations. CI is one of the worlds
leading environmental organizations implementing critical climate
change, biodiversity protection, sustainable agriculture and
natural climate solutions initiatives in 30 countries. Founded 35
years ago, CI now implements $200m worth of conservation
programming globally, has 1400 employees and is poised to hire 200
more staff by mid-2024. This is an exciting and pivotal role for a
seasoned operations executive to manage such growth effectively and
develop a more sophisticated US and global operations engine for
CI. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the COO will be
empowered with the authority and responsibility to manage CIs
operations across the entire global organization, including
Information Technology, Human Resources, Finance and Accounting and
Since its inception 35 years ago, CI has been committed to a truly
global approach to conservation management. Working with
governments, local partners and indigenous communities is at the
heart of how CI implements conservation programming. CI believes in
empowering its distributed leadership 3 across its countries of
operation. Therefore, CI seeks to introduce greater
standardization, efficiency, and data management across its global
operations for seamless information exchange, compliance, reporting
and risk management through integrated systems.
The incoming COO needs to be a visionary leader who a proven
track-record of can develop and implement a strategic plan to build
operations infrastructure to match CIs size and growth. While
direct knowledge of conservation is not required, it is especially
important that the COO have international experience and a passion
for CIs mission. In addition, the COO will need to understand CIs
donor base and funding sources to be able to assess the needs
across the entire organization.
This individual must bring a passion and appreciation for diverse
perspectives, talents, cultures, and identities and work
collaboratively and respectfully at all levels of CI.
- Establish a close partnership with the CEO and executive team
and lead a clearly articulated operational strategy in support of
CIs strategic goals.
- Work closely with the Executive Committee and senior leadership
to ensure a culture of open and direct communication in a positive,
fair, and accountable workplace.
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic
plan implementation processes with the CEO and executive leadership
team. Coach program directors as they implement the strategic plan
and transition program operations.
- Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting on
the progress of the strategic plan implementation.
- Achieve harmony and flow across our global programs and
divisions to ensure that our local, country, regional, and global
teams can work together in harmony. Update and modernize roles,
rights, and responsibilities for positions, focusing on
decision-making and increasing the speed at which things are
executed. Ensure consistent application of policies and practices,
with the authority to ensure appropriate accountability across the
- Have accountability for leading and monitoring overall and
organization-wide risk levels. Identify and monitor areas of
business risk and implement strategies to mitigate as appropriate.
Monitor compliance and take actions to address any issues or gaps
- Direct the development and implementation of short-term and
long-term fiscal planning including annual budgeting and multi-year
forecasting, ensuring the highest levels of fiscal
- Develop and utilize predictive models and analyses to provide
insight into the organizations operations and business plans.
Support effective decision-making and planning through financial
and management analyses, performance indicators, reports, and
- Direct the current and long-term effectiveness of CIs financial
functions including accounting, budgetary controls, financial
planning and analysis, grant and contract management, financing,
banking, investments, taxes, and reporting.
- Provide governance for IT and implement best practices for a
high-quality, consistent and reliable infrastructure across CIs
global workforce, ensuring systems integration and the promotion of
the most efficient use of technology resources.
- Ensure adherence to generally accepted accounting practices,
donor rules and regulations, and applicable tax laws.
- Represent CI in forums and build partnerships needed to advance
CIs agenda, including multilateral agencies, government bodies,
NGOs, private sector partners, and other key public and private
donors to achieve CIs mission.
- This position is based in Arlington, VA.
- The position may require extensive international
- The position requires the ability to work non-traditional and
extended hours to support a global workforce in multiple time
- Guidance on flexible work arrangements will be shared during
the interview process.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and
our community,all US-based Conservation International staff are
required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine
requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work
arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices.CI follows CDC
recommendations for COVID-19 vaccines. Requests for reasonable
accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious
reasons will be considered. Candidates areNOTrequired to state
their COVID-19 vaccine status in their application.
- Masters/Advanced degree in business administration and 15 years
or more experience in a leadership position working
cross-functionally across finance, operations, human resources, and
IT in a large complex organization.
- 5 or more years of experience in asenior leadership role
serving a global organization with experience managing teams of
- 7 or more years of experience managing teams of professional
- Proven ability to navigate complex nonprofit compliance,
operations, legal, and risk management issues in a global setting,
while adjusting approaches to country-specific contexts.
- Ability to listen to and learn from the Board of Directors,
donors, and staff, while bringing experience and perspective to
further advance the organization, culture, and mission.
- Demonstrated ability to provide an inspiring, accessible,
visible, and flexible leadership style that inspires trust,
respect, and confidence and drives results.
- Multicultural competence to lead and manage others through a
lens of diversity, equity and inclusion and ensure all aspects of
diversity are leveraged in our teams and work.
- Proven experience building and motivating high-performing
teams, acting as a coach and mentor.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing organizational financial
activity and systems, including budgeting, multi-year forecasting,
modeling, accounting, and reporting in a diverse stakeholder and
- Proven ability to formulate and execute results utilizing
strong analytical, critical decision-making, and strategic planning
- Confidence and capability to adapt and lead in a fast-paced,
entrepreneurial work environment, conceptualizing and implementing
innovative strategies and programs.
- Ability to analyze and recommend short-term and long-term
improvements to processes, procedures, and systems.
- Willing to undertake extensive international travel and to work
during non-traditional and extended hours to support a global
workforce in multiple time zones.
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, and/or French.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: RPMGlobal, Arlington , Chief Operating Officer, Other , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!