Operations Safety Specialist
Company: American Public Power Association
Posted on: September 22, 2022
The American Public Power Association is looking for a
Operations Safety Specialist to be responsible for supporting the
day-to-day operations of key safety member programs, including the
American Public Power Association (APPA) Safety Manual and
associated task force(s), the Industry Standards Committee, the
APPA Lineworkers Rodeo, Safety data collection programs (eSafety
Tracker and Safety Awards), the mutual aid working group and
related network coordinators program. The specialist supervises the
collection, processing, analysis, and graphic presentation of
statistics, data, and reports from said programs; directs program
activities, and assists members with their use and participation in
the programs. The Specialist assists members with questions in the
safety topic area, helps revise the APPA Safety Manual, and acts as
liaison to the Safety Community, Industry Standards Committee,
Advocacy, Training and eSafety (eST) Tracker Users Group. The
Operations Safety Specialist provides technical and analytical
assistance and support to APPA members and staff on member-service
related regulatory, and compliance issues as directed. Please note:
This is not a remote position. Candidates must be in DC, Maryland,
or Virginia area. APPA offers a flexible work schedule for
full-time employees and the option for telework is available after
(3) months of employment (with supervisor approval). Direct hire no
agency The position's duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the eSafety Tracker
programs, including directing Program Assistant/Coordinator work as
- Monitor, analyze, prepare comments, and disseminate information
to APPA members and staff on electric utility operations related to
safety rules and regulations, utility industry safety standards,
and other technical subjects of relevance to the membership.
- Monitor, represent, and advocate on behalf of membership
through participation in appropriate external industry groups, such
as Small Business Association (SBA), or Occupational Health and
Safety Administration meetings and member-based stakeholder
- Work with Safety Manual Revision Task Force to update new
versions of the APPA Safety Manual
- Serve as a first point of contact for APPA members and
nonmembers and ensure a satisfactory outcome to their questions and
comments related to Occupational Safety and Health programs.
- Identify grant opportunities under Department of Labor,
Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Department of
Homeland Security (FEMA), and the Department of Energy.
- Support the Director in grant proposal and application
- The ability to develop training programs and experience with
Safety TRIR and DART analysis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Technical Degree from a 4-year college or university required
(Health Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health, Biology,
Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent combination of
education/experience or other Bachelor of Science degree)
- 3-5 years of relevant experience working in the field of
environmental, occupational health and safety. Working with or as a
team lead to support complex projects and working to provide core
customer services and as a key point of contact for customer
programs and services.
- Experience working with utility operations and/or trade
- ASP/CSP certification (preferred)
- Excellent assessment, research, and analytical skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office applications, including
maintain website pages.
- Ability to become familiar with SQL and Python programming
- Familiarity with database management and web application
- Familiarity with statistical analysis.
- Initiative and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to use information resources quickly and
Keywords: American Public Power Association, Arlington , Operations Safety Specialist, Other , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!