Application Development Specialist
Company: National Council on Aging
Posted on: June 25, 2022
National Council on Aging
Looking to innovate, grow, and make a positive impact on the lives
of others? Join a nonprofit service and advocacy organization whose
mission is to improve the lives of older adults, especially those
who are struggling. We Are NCOA and we believe every person
deserves to age well. Thats why were on a path to improve the lives
of 40 million older adults by 2030. The National Council on Aging,
a national voice for every Americans right to age well, has an
exciting opportunity for a Technical Project Manager (referred to
internally as an Application Development Specialist), in its
Arlington, VA office. This person will play a key role in
administering the requirements, design, development, testing, and
release management aspects of various web application development
projects. This includes engaging with stakeholders and application
developers for sprint planning, product enhancements, code fixes,
and working closely with IT DevOps team for release management and
systems testing. The Technical Project Manager partners with the
NCOA Product Owners to execute on the product vision, roadmap, and
plays a critical role towards achieving social impact goals set
forth by the NCOA leadership. This is a technical position that
requires technical project management skills, attention to detail,
sound judgment, critical thinking, leadership, and proactive risk
mitigation strategizing. Good listening and customer service skills
are critical, as the position supports the visions and requirements
of the NCOA Product Owner teams. Key responsibilities include the
- Become proficient in the application requirements and
capabilities so that you can be a subject-matter-expert, demo new
capabilities to Customers and Stakeholders as needed, and engage
with them to enhance their product usage experience.
- Assume ScrumMaster responsibilities managing the Agile Scrum
Cycle: Backlog Grooming, Sprints Planning, Refinement, Capacity
Planning, workload estimates, Earned Value and Release Management,
and Sprint Retrospectives (working with both internal stakeholders
and Vendor developers).
- Assist business and product team members in defining
technically precise and feasible project/product requirements,
setting priorities, and timeframe planning for deliverables using
- Assist business teams and Product Owners as needed in the
creation and refinement of appropriate user stories and Jira items
for Sprint backlog planning.
- Support IT Teams to remove impediments, resolve schedule
conflicts, and estimate resource needs.
- Monitoring Developers work and unit testing results, earned
value, quality of application, deliverable documents, and testing
- Demo Sprint releases to stakeholders as needed and engage with
stakeholders to enhance their product experience.
- Assist development and business teams in conducting Quality
Assurance on requested features, identifying issues and fixes;
support to improve communication, transparency, and collaboration
to resolve issues.
- Identify, analyze, and monitor project risks; manage risk
register, and risk mitigation plan.
- Provide cross-departmental communication and coordination and
conduct weekly status meetings to keep product/project stakeholders
up to date on the team's progress.
- Collaborate with NCOA IT Dev and Operations Team to ensure
timely communication and coordination for release management and
- Schedule and participate in application incremental and
production release, incident resolutions, and follow established
escalation process to resolve issues related to new version
- Contribute to improvement of Agile Lifecycle.
- Other responsibilities as assigned. Professional
- Bachelor's degree in an Information Technology related field
with 4+ years of prior relevant experience.
- 4 years experience in application development management with
AWS cloud based digital products.
- 2 years experience in Agile Methodology using Atlassian tools
like Jira, Confluence.
- 2 years of hands-on application development project management
- Strong technical web application development lifecycle
management experience, especially with AWS web application
- Experience working with developers using AWS Serverless LAMP
stack, Analytical, and Content Management Tools.
- Strong customer service skills for gathering requirements and
explaining solution and design.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities such as conflict/issue
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, including the
proven ability to adapt to a dynamic environment and manage
- Well organized, self-starter, quick learner, and detail
oriented. Preferred Qualifications:
- AWS Cloud Practitioner Certificate.
- PMP certification.
- Experience with Headless Content Management Tool like Kentico
- ScrumMaster certification (CSM, PSM, CSP).
- Knowledge of nonprofit organizations operations.
- Experience with test automation tools such as Cucumber or
Selenium. NCOA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed
to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all
individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and
applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service
status, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by
applicable law. NCOA believes that diversity and inclusion among
our teammates is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit,
develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse
Keywords: National Council on Aging, Arlington , Application Development Specialist, Other , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!