User Interface Designer
Posted on: June 20, 2022
Summary Phase2 is a digital product agency passionate about
customer experience, grounded in data and insights, and rooted in
20 years of successful technology delivery. We make digital
products that inspire, engage, and create impact. For the most
influential companies in the world, Phase2 is a proven partner,
guiding our clients toward what's next in the digital
landscape.Phase2 is looking for a UI Designer to join our Creative
Team. The UI Designer will work with client stakeholders and
internal team members to design user-centric and
aesthetically-pleasing digital experiences that meet the client's
business needs. By successfully utilizing and embracing modular
design methodologies, the UI Designer will champion exceptional
experiences for users, while also providing efficient and seamless
developer hand-offs.The UI Designer will lead the charge in design
and be involved throughout the project cycle. The work includes
(but is not limited to): creating stylescapes to establish visual
direction, designing compositions assembled from a component-based
approach, establishing consistent UI elements that take into
account responsive behavior, and documenting usage guidelines and
rules for all components. Design work at Phase2 is not limited to
aesthetics and art direction. It is paramount that the UI Designer
engages all aspects of a project's needs, such as discovery,
wireframing, prototyping, and heavy integration with content
strategy. Teamwork is of the utmost importance, as the UI Designer
will work closely with teammates in a collaborative manner to make
sure all relevant perspectives are brought into the design process.
In addition to being a team player, it's also important that the UI
Designer has the ability to speak to their designs and provide
rationale as to why particular design decisions were made - both
internally and directly to clients. Lastly, all designers must have
the ability to prioritize and self-project manage. There will be
times where multiple projects and deadlines are occurring
simultaneously and thus it is crucial that projects and tasks are
prioritized appropriately.This position reports to Phase2's
Director of Design.Responsibilities
- Can lead mid-level design engagements with limited
- Work in partnership with key stakeholders to define visual
language and establish art direction that upholds any existing
brand guidelines and strategies.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to
facilitate/participate in design workshops to achieve specific
outcomes for a particular project goal.
- Create and improve on a range of artifacts and deliverables
throughout the project life cycle, including but not limited to
creative briefs, stylescapes, high fidelity compositions, style
guides, pattern libraries, and design system documentation.
- Seeks to receive and give feedback in reviews with stakeholders
and peers by using empathy along with deep listening skills.
- Understand limitations and functional range of what is possible
within the realm of designing for the responsive web, but also
constantly striving to deliver innovative work.
- Design, develop, modify, and manipulate graphic images,
photography, logos, and icons for client and internal web
- Take a role in developing and refining team processes and
- Document processes and techniques for re-use on other projects,
or improve existing documentation.
- Understand and provide feedback on clients' existing brand
guidelines and strategies.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with project teams, Phase2
Sales & Marketing, and clients.
- Work within project parameters and priorities as defined by the
Project Manager on both internal and external projects.Minimum
- Must possess at least 4+ years of web design experience
- Knowledge of design elements, key principles of design, and
established UI and visual design best practices
- Continually learn emerging web technologies
- In-depth knowledge of typography, color theory, layout, and
- Strong skills in visual design/communication skills, deep
knowledge of user-centered design, and good usability
- An excellent portfolio exhibiting good taste and a breadth of
interactive visual design skills and experience that spans a
multitude of web properties
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, and
ability to adapt to new design tools
- Intensely collaborative and highly practical, with the ability
to handle a wide variety of design challenges
- A BA/BS or higher degree in Graphic Design, Interaction/Digital
Design, or equivalent experience in a related field
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and be
willing to transfer skills to other team members
- Requires strong communication (verbal and written) skills with
team members and clients
- Ability to manage time across a variety of tasks and
- Experience with Agile development methodologies such as SCRUM
- Experience with illustration and vector graphic creation
- Experience with branding and identity strategy as well as
- Ability to create artistic compositions by hand using
traditional mediums such as pencil on paper, or stylus
- Understanding or experience with online publishing, open
government, or community-based systems and business practices
- Knowledge of web-based solutions including data-driven
websites, portals, web services, content management systems
- An understanding of HTML, CSS, and other basic syntax
- Other frontend development experienceAdvancement Criteria
Phase2 is committed to transparency for career advancement.
Eligibility for advancement requires:
- Two or more favorable performance management evaluations to
include supervisory reviews and peer reviews OR sponsorship from
two or more senior leaders.
- Meeting the minimum qualifications for that role.The typical
advancement path is to Senior UI Designer.Physical Demands
- Frequently remain in a stationary position, often standing or
sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Occasional adjusting or moving of light objects up to 20 pounds
in all directions.
- Continuous communication on live video chats, calls, and
through emails and messaging platforms for the purpose of
- Continuous repetitive movements that may include the wrists,
hands, and/or fingers.
- [If applicable] Travel (approx. 15% - 25%) when required
(travel not required during the pandemic)Mental Demands
- Comprehension - Must continuously be able to understand
direction and adhere to established procedures. Must also be able
to gather information from clients and employees and synthesize
this information in a meaningful way. May also be responsible for
making improvements or recommendations to existing procedures.
- Organization - Must continuously be able to gather and classify
information, store information learned from conversations and
communications, and then be and be able to quickly recall,
interpret, and explain information.
- Reasoning and Decision Making - Must continuously use logic to
analyze and interpret information, and prioritize.
- Communication - Must continuously express or exchange ideas and
meaning with employees and clients.
- Resilience - Must continuously adapt well in the face of
workplace stressors.Regarding COVID-19 VaccinesPhase2 has contracts
with the federal government, subjecting it to federal COVID-19
vaccine mandates. If you are under consideration for work on a
government contract or plan to work from a Phase2 office location,
Phase2 will require you to be vaccinated. Phase2 will permit
limited medical and religious exemptions. Upon offer of employment,
you will be asked to provide your vaccination status.More About
Phase2Candidates being considered will be contacted by email first.
Every job requires at least 2 interviews--both conducted via video.
A representative from Employee Experience will conduct the first
interview via video and the invitation will be sent from a valid,
Phase2 email address. Additionally, all job offers are delivered
via DocuSign with security validation. Phase2 has an unwavering
commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.As a remote-first
company, we are able to compete for the best talent, no matter
where they live. Our salary structure is commensurate with
accomplishment. We offer a full benefits package including 401K
with an automatic company contribution. We have more than 140
employees in our Arlington, Virginia, New York, New York, Portland,
Oregon, and "everywhere" offices.We are dedicated to creating an
environment of openness and engagement. Each member of our
workforce can bring the fullest expression of themselves to work
every day in order to best serve one another and our clients. We
commit to keeping our workplace free from discrimination based upon
race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual
orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older),
disability or genetic information. Phase2 is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and participates in
Keywords: Phase2, Arlington , User Interface Designer, Other , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!