Company: National Council on Aging
Posted on: November 18, 2021
National Council on AgingLooking to innovate, grow, and make a
positive impact on the lives of others? Join a nonprofit service
and advocacy organization whose mission is to improve the lives of
older adults, especially those who are struggling. We Are NCOA and
we believe every person deserves to age well. That's why we're on a
path to improve the lives of 40 million older adults by 2030. NCOA,
a national voice for every American's right to age well, has an
exciting opportunity for a Controller, in its Arlington, VA office.
This person will be a key member of the Finance team. Reporting to
the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will lead the
operational activities of the finance/accounting department for the
$61M annual budget organization, including: monthly and year end
closing processes and management of accounting operations (AP, AR,
GL); accounting for Government and private funded grant projects,
investments, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger,
payroll accounting; relationship management with banks and other
vendors, filing for Indirect Rate approvals to Federal cognizant
agency, as well as all audit support activities. The Controller
will ensure that NCOA has the systems and procedures in place for
ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory
requirements, maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt
of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures, and
to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless
audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and
their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and
accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function
can support program operations. Ideal candidate will:
- Responsible for managing and delivery of accounting operations
services on a timely and accurate basis, directing other
finance/accounting department staff as needed to provide such
- Provides financial analysis and operational support to NCOA
business unit staff, as well as guidance on all required policies
- Provides leadership and strategic direction for all accounting
and finance management systems; oversees implementations and
- Participates as a senior staff member of the finance and
accounting team for NCOA. Finance
- Oversee all accounting functions of the finance department
(payroll accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and
general ledger maintenance).
- Oversee all year-end audit schedule preparations and working
with outside auditors to develop financial statements.
- Work with outside auditors to prepare schedules and documents
for annual tax filings.
- Oversee internal control processes for NCOA, as well as
implementing and communicating policy and procedures updates
relating to fiscal operations, maintaining internal control and
safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and
- Oversee training and development of accounting staff for
general ledger, accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Manage team performance, provide leadership and on-going
feedback for performance improvement.
- Oversee the provision of financial reporting and other
requirements for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Oversee administration of the accountings systems--currently
Deltek (Costpoint, Time Collection & CER) and Insight
- Assist in tracking and prioritization of new system
- Communicate and educate change in business processes to team
members and affected employees.
- Function as a key "go to" person for NCOA staff members who
need help understanding their reports, procedural issues, etc.
- Analyze results and projections as needed.
- Develop and implement continuous process improvement
- Responsible for co-managing and training (in a team
environment) other accounting/finance staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned. Ideal education & experience should
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting or equivalent field
with 10+ years professional finance/accounting experience -
Nonprofit experience required; federal contract or grant accounting
preferred; CPA preferred.
- 5+ years management and supervisory experience in a
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles (and associated Accounting Standards and requirements
for non-profit organizations, government contracts and indirect
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance
and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is
essential, along with experience in a complex nonprofit that has
multiple programs and categories of support.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which
allows for strategic data interpretation.
- Excellent computer skills; working proficiency with Deltek
Costpoint and report writer system or similar tools.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to
individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance
- Strong oral and written communication skills; and excellent
interpersonal skills. NCOA is an equal opportunity employer. We are
committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and
respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are
merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin,
military service status, citizenship, or any other characteristic
protected by applicable law. NCOA believes that diversity and
inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success, and we
seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a
diverse candidate pool.
Keywords: National Council on Aging, Arlington , Controller, Other , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!