Manager, Conflict Resolution and Peace
Company: Conservation International
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Manager, Conflict Resolution and Peace
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for
the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and
partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and
more productive planet.
The Conflict Resolution and Peace Manager reports to the Senior
Director of Inclusive Partnerships Program and will work closely
with the program delivery and finance/operations teams of the new
Center for Communities and Conservation (CCC) to advance CI's
environmental peacebuilding goals including the process to become a
conflict sensitive organization. This body of work will require
deep knowledge of how CI plans and implements conservation
programs, the Center's mission to integrate human well-being into
CI's conservation efforts, and all CI business processes (from
Branding and Communications to HR to Development.)
This position will work collaboratively to manage day-to-day
environmental peacebuilding program initiatives; with the primary
- Provide strategic guidance to plan and implement new and
existing conflict sensitivity and environmental peacebuilding
initiatives within CI;
- Deliver technical assistance on peacebuilding and conflict
sensitivity issues both within CI and beyond;
- Design and deliver training workshops on conflict analysis and
conflict sensitivity for staff in CI Arlington and Field
- Lead fundraising research and proposal writing for the
Inclusive Partnerships Program; and,
- Develop quality external partnerships with organizations, NGOs,
and UN agencies focused on environmental peacebuilding,
peacebuilding, conflict resolution, and/or gender issues in
Lead Inclusive Partnership's Environmental Peacebuilding
Initiative and Outreach to CI Staff and Partners. Provide technical
and strategic input to the development of training materials for
CI's internal capacity-building on peace and conflict-sensitive
- Lead HQ workshops to spread awareness of our work and other
dissemination efforts that expand internal awareness of CI's
Environmental Peacebuilding Training Manual and related technical
- Cultivate and manage relationships with peace donors to advance
institutional aspects of conflict sensitivity, such as the
PeaceNexus foundation. Responsible for leadership on related
activities associated with grant implementation.
- Oversee CI's nomination and submission process for Goldman
- Lead and provide technical support to conflict sensitivity
pilot programs, ensuring effective implementation of grant and
- Develop internal policy and resource materials on conflict
sensitivity that contribute to institutional knowledge and capacity
on conflict sensitivity
- Lead development of a skills assessment framework and related
conflict skills training packages with CI field teams and provide
responsive support to partnership requests.
- Pursue collaboration on training opportunities and technical
assistance (workshops, 1-1 facilitation, peer exchange, program
planning) with additional field countries, such as Colombia.
- Strengthen relationships with internal CI Peace Champions at HQ
- Respond to periodic requests for technical, program planning,
and capacity building assistance from CI programs and partners by
connecting to relevant staff in the Policy Center and across other
CI divisions, contributing ideas, assuming responsibilities for
specific tasks, and tracking activities over time.
- Manage awareness-raising and outreach meetings across CI
divisions and with key peacebuilding actors, in collaboration with
Inclusive Partnership staff.
- Represent CI and Inclusive Partnership at conferences,
workshops, meetings and within professional groups that advocate
for integrated programming, such as the Alliance for Peacebuilding,
the Environmental Peacebuilding Working Group, and the Wilson
Center Environmental Change and Security Program.
- Develop evaluation approach to measure and track impacts of
peacebuilding initiatives at CI.
Deliver Technical and Research Guidance on Gender, Social
Inclusion and Peace
- Design and produce technical documents such as case studies and
best practices synthesis to help increase CI capacity around
gender, natural resource management and conflict.
- Perform research, analysis and synthesis as part of the CI
gender working groups, and conduct prospect research for
fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Senior Director for
Inclusive Partnerships and CI's Gender Advisor.
- Identify, plan and design collaborative initiatives to
integrate a gender lens within environmental peacebuilding and
conflict sensitivity work.
Ensure Inclusive Partnerships Program Operational Goals are
- Manage payments, grant, and contract creation and approval
process for Inclusive Partnerships grants and contracts.
- Manage meeting logistics for Inclusive Partnerships
- Serve as primary contact for CI communications team,
identifying opportunities and contributing to articles, blogs, and
other internal and external communications efforts.
- Collaborate with Center communications team to update website
content production including blogs and success stories.
- Lead and collaborate on fundraising research and proposal
writing for the Inclusive Partnerships Program.
- Serve as Operations point-of-contact for Inclusive
- Submit timesheets and expense reports (e.g. credit card,
cash/travel advances, etc.) on time and accurately.
Provide Technical Guidance to the Center for Communities and
- Any other responsibility as assigned by the supervisor of the
- Facilitate alignment and integration of environmental
peacebuilding program within CCC strategy and priorities.
- Based in Arlington, Virginia.
- Normal office conditions. Some international travel
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- 4-6 years of related work experience, preferably in
peacebuilding, international development, stakeholder engagement
and/or social and environmental safeguards issues.
- Strong organization skills, with ability to prioritize and
manage high volume and varied tasks and meet deadlines;
- Resourcefulness and ability to work proactively and
- Proven ability to work effectively with others from a variety
of disciplines, cultures and backgrounds; and
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office
package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and web researching
- Master's degree.
- Fluent in one of CI's core languages, preferably Spanish or
- Experience in training design and facilitation for
- Experience providing input on peacebuilding or conflict
- Experience with analysis of peacebuilding, international
development, stakeholder engagement, human rights, or gender
programs or comparable fields.
- Familiarity with and a strong interest in socio-economic issues
related to conservation and peace, particularly as related to
gender, environmental security, and/or sustainable
- Experience assisting in the development of fundraising
- Experience supporting the administration of contracts and
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently
compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI,recognizing thatinclusion,
collaboration andcooperation arefundamental to achieving ahealthy
and prosperousworld for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing
ourdiversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering
and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be
caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we
can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled
Keywords: Conservation International, Arlington , Manager, Conflict Resolution and Peace, Other , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!