Director, Blue Climate Strategy
Company: Conservation International
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Director, Blue Climate Strategy
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for
the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and
partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and
more productive planet.
The Director for Blue Climate Strategy is a foundational member
of the Blue Climate Program within the Center for Oceans. The
Director for Blue Climate Strategy is a significant contributor to
defining the vision, strategy, goals and priorities for the Blue
Climate Program and, in partnership with the program technical
leads, s/he develops and leads implementation of strategic
international policy-based approaches and programs to achieve CI's
Blue Climate goals spanning Blue Carbon, Coastal and Ocean
Adaptation, Green-Gray Infrastructure and Ocean-Climate
integration. Responsibilities include project development,
fundraising, implementation, communications and broader capacity
building. S/he is also key to building and securing CI's global
leadership role in priority issues including Blue Carbon and
Green-Gray Infrastructure and ensuring collaborative and productive
partnerships with other organizations.
The Director for Blue Climate Strategy builds consensus around
CI's blue climate policy priorities and convenes the broad internal
and external coalitions and collaborations necessary to implement
these priorities and associated programs. The Director for Blue
Climate Strategy works closely with CI's Policy Center to ensure
tight alignment with CI's larger international and national policy
programs and priorities, including providing key technical inputs
and guidance on ocean-climate related issues. The position will
work closely with teams across CI including the International
Policy team, the Center for Oceans, Center for Natural Climate
Solutions, and Conservation Finance Division to ensure alignment
and integration of blue climate policy priorities with all related
This position works independently, in a highly dynamic
environment, with a broad range of stakeholders and disciplines.
The position works with CI country programs and regional partners
to achieve CI's Blue Climate program goals through supporting
domestic policy objectives in priority countries and assisting
governments and partners in achieving mutually agreed upon ocean
climate policy objectives. In partnership with the Policy Division,
The Director for Blue Climate Strategy is a key facilitator of
priority blue climate policy actions in targeted countries, such as
providing technical support for the integration of oceans into
UNFCCC Nationally Determined Contributions, national climate policy
and related mechanisms such as greenhouse gas inventories, and
related components of ocean policy. As such, the position is
responsible for building and maintaining strong working
relationships with a broad range of country staff and partners.
International Blue Climate Policy Program:
- Develop and lead strategic policy programs to achieve CI's Blue
Climate goals spanning Blue Carbon, Coastal and Ocean Adaptation,
Green-Gray Infrastructure and Ocean-Climate which integrate and
align international and national policy goals.
- Lead project development, fundraising, implementation,
communications and broader capacity building for priority blue
climate policy programs.
- Work closely with CI's international policy team to ensure
ocean-climate strategies and approaches are tightly aligned with
international and national policy programs and priorities.
- Provide key thought leadership on ocean-climate related policy
across CI. Lead development of CI blue climate related positions
and associated policy briefs, position papers, etc.
- Lead and coordinate blue climate representation within the CI
delegation to international policy meetings related to climate,
oceans and others as relevant.
- Ensure CI engagement in international policy arenas is
advancing blue climate policy strategic objectives. Ensure a strong
and constructive presence within international policy arenas to
build and secure CI's global leadership role in priority issues
including Blue Carbon and Green-Gray Infrastructure.
- Ensure alignment and integration of the blue climate policy
priorities with all related CI programs including the International
Policy team, the Center for Oceans, Center for Natural Climate
Solutions, and Conservation Finance Divisions.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with government
representatives and like-minded organizations to accelerate and
achieve CI blue climate policy objectives in close coordination
with international policy team and relevant country programs.
- Coordinate with CI partners to implement this strategy,
including by organizing and rallying other organizations active in
the oceans-climate arena around a shared strategy.
Blue Climate Policy Advancement in Priority Countries
- In partnership with priority CI country programs, develop
country specific blue climate policy objectives and programs which
are aligned with and inform CIs Blue Climate and broader policy
- Facilitate priority blue climate policy actions in targeted
countries, such as providing CI programs and partners with
strategic technical support and/or capacity building for the
integration of oceans into UNFCCC Nationally Determined
Contributions, National Adaptation Plans, national climate policy,
greenhouse gas inventories, NBSAPs and other related components of
- Provide leadership, capacity building and targeted technical
support to CI staff to engage their governments or other partners
in achievement of CI's blue climate policy objectives.
- Ensure country-level policy programs are aligned with, inform
and advance the strategic priorities of the international blue
climate policy program.
Blue Climate Program:
- Provide key leadership within the CI Blue Climate team,
including as a significant contributor to defining the vision,
goals and priorities for the Blue Climate Program.
- Enthusiastically and effectively represents the broader Blue
Climate program with internal and external partners.
- Provide key leadership within the CI Blue Carbon Network team,
including as a member of the leadership group.
- Provide tight coordination with the Policy Division including
coordinating and facilitating effective two-way communication with
the Blue Climate Program and Center for Oceans.
- Provide robust contributions to strategy development, planning
processes, fundraising, team initiatives/special projects (e.g.,
hiring committee for an open position), reporting and communication
efforts as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- This position is open for consideration in all CI office
locations or remote locations on a case by case basis
- Requires working remotely with colleagues in other
- Occasional night and weekend work to accommodate colleagues in
other time zones.
- Position requires up to 25% travel.
- Clear passion for achieving human well-being and maintaining
biodiversity through conservation.
- Demonstrated superior level knowledge of and experience working
in international climate and/or ocean policy mechanisms and
- Demonstrated experience in strategy development, specifically
including strategic policy engagement to achieve defined
conservation or resource management outcomes.
- Proven success in effectively working with diverse teams across
regions of the world and engaging with staff who are not direct
reports to achieve program objectives.
- Program or project management experience, preferably in the
global conservation, NGO, advocacy or related for-profit
- A record of success partnering with, and influencing, key
stakeholders and building strong partnerships across public and
private sectors and civil society.
- Record of success building leadership visibility for an
organization in policy-related arenas.
- High level of independence, able to assess changing situations,
prioritize and meet deadlines. Adept at working in a fast-paced
environment with changing priorities with limited supervision.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Enthusiasm and capacity for learning scientific and related
basis for specific conservation outcomes as needed to support
policy priorities and processes.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a highly functioning
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French.
- Experience working in a range of cultural settings.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently
compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI,recognizing thatinclusion,
collaboration andcooperation arefundamental to achieving ahealthy
and prosperousworld for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing
ourdiversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering
and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be
caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we
can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled
Keywords: Conservation International, Arlington , Director, Blue Climate Strategy, Other , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!