Operations & Compliance Counsel
Company: AvalonBay Communities
Posted on: January 12, 2022
The Company AvalonBay Communities, Inc. (NYSE: AVB) is an equity
REIT in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and
managing multifamily communities primarily in New England, the New
York/New Jersey metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific
Northwest, and Northern and Southern California.
We focus on leading metropolitan areas in these regions that we
believe are characterized by growing employment in high wage
sectors of the economy, lower housing affordability and a diverse
and vibrant quality of life. We believe these market
characteristics offer the opportunity for superior risk-adjusted
returns on apartment community investment relative to other markets
that do not have these characteristics.
As of September 30, 2021, the Company owned or held a direct or
indirect ownership interest in 293 apartment communities containing
87,416 apartment homes in 13 states and the District of Columbia,
of which 17 communities were under development and two communities
were under redevelopment.
Our culture is grounded in our core values of a commitment to
integrity, a spirit of caring, and a focus on continuous
improvement. Our decentralized development and operating structure
depends on a culture of collaboration and responsibility that
balances regional autonomy with centralized support and
capabilities located in our Arlington, VA headquarters. Regions are
able to continuously improve execution by drawing on strategic
capabilities that include market research, customer insight,
design, and capital management. The Role - Operations & Compliance
Counsel Location: Arlington, VA (hybrid) Department: Legal
ServicesReports to: Vice President - Associate General Counsel
Position SummaryThis in-house attorney primarily provides support
to the Associate General Counsel and serves as a resource for
various operating groups, including human resources, residential
services, and customer service operations. This attorney will
interact with associates of all levels throughout the Company and
will (i) review and provide advice on employment and labor law
matters; (ii) review and provide advice on compliance matters,
including the impact of new laws, regulations, and court decisions
relating to landlord-tenant and property operations in the various
jurisdictions where the company operates; and (iii) provide advice
on various operational initiatives, including compliance with laws
and drafting and revising consumer facing documentation to address
both compliance and risk mitigation. This attorney may also assist
with miscellaneous matters, including political contributions and
- Assist the human resources department with employment and labor
- Review and prepare documentation used by the property
operations group and respond to questions from the field.
- Research and provide advice on compliance of new initiatives
with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Communicate and confer with customer support center supervisors
and Residential Services supervisors on policy, procedure, and
- Support on general overhead legal matters such as political
contributions and data management.
- Work with local counsel to review and audit residential lease
templates and related documentation, including reviewing local
legal requirements and mandated disclosures and incorporating
changes reflecting new internal policies and procedures.
- Resolve disputes with residents and vendors and supervise or
participate in select litigation matters including fair housing
- A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school is
- Active license to practice law and membership, in good
standing, to at least one state bar is required. Candidates should
also be able to secure qualified admission to Virginia corporate
counsel bar within their first year on the job.
- A minimum of five (5) years of legal practice experience at a
reputable law firm and/or corporate in-house legal department to
- Experience in employment law and/or consumer facing regulatory
- Researching and advising on statutes and regulations;
- Reviewing and revising contracts; and
- Assisting with dispute resolutions.
- Experience directly advising lay persons and
- Experience managing paraprofessionals.
- Experience in housing law a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work and collaborate with varied constituencies
(management, business unit leaders, associates throughout the
organization, outside counsel) with strong people (client service)
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to work independently
and proactively, multi-task, prioritize workload, and meet
- Expert communicator - clear and concise written and verbal
communication skills - with the ability to distill legal concepts
into digestible and useable business counsel.
- Team player who is willing to roll up their sleeves, be
proactive, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Intellectually curious; demonstrates enthusiasm for learning
new areas, performing independent research, and communicating
learnings and recommendations.
- Ability to perform basic Microsoft Office applications, such as
word processing and spreadsheets.
Keywords: AvalonBay Communities, Arlington , Operations & Compliance Counsel, Legal , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!