Sr. Director & Assistant Controller of Financial Reporting & Program Support
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Sr. Director, Assistant Controller of Financial Reporting & Program
Regular, Full time Exempt
VP & Controller
The Sr. Director, Assistant Controller of Financial Reporting and
Program Support is responsible for appropriate application of U.S.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for PBS and PBS
Foundation, oversees all financial reporting activities for the
organizations and ensures compliance with all private and federal
grant reporting and compliance requirements. The individual in this
role will review new transactions/contracts to determine and
document proper accounting treatment or review treatment proposed
by staff. They will oversee the creation of the indirect cost
proposal and related final analysis and reporting. This position
will ensure consolidated entries are prepared properly and that all
financial reporting packages and PBS and PBS Foundation (PBSF)
board materials are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
This role will also serve as the primary financial statement audit
contact and ensure all audit schedules are completed on a timely
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the preparation of PBS and PBSF's monthly, quarterly,
and annual consolidated financial statements, including review of
consolidating journal entries.
- Review monthly and quarterly financial statement reporting
packages for both the PBS and PBSF management and Board to ensure
accurate and timely reporting.
- Oversee the preparation of the quarterly PBS Consolidated and
stand-alone financial statements of the PBSF, PBS Enterprises LLC,
and PBS Digital LLC.
- Coordinate and serve as the lead contact for the annual
financial statement audits of PBS and PBSF; prepare and review
audit schedules, answer auditors' questions, and respond to audit
requests in a timely manner.
- Serve as the primary resource for identification and resolution
of potential technical accounting issues, including both recently
issued standards and application of existing U.S. GAAP. Ensure
appropriate continued application of ASU 2018-08 Contributions Made
and Received, ASU 2014-09 Revenue from Contracts with Customers,
and ASU 2016-14 Not-for-Profit Entities and plan for adoption of
ASU 2016-02 Leases.
- Partner with Finance team members and program staff to identify
new transactions (contract/grant/donation) to determine and
document proper accounting treatment for the transaction at the
inception of the agreement.
- Review the indirect cost proposal and annual reporting to
ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Oversee the timely and accurate reporting of federal and
non-federal contracts and grants in compliance with contract/grant,
federal compliance requirements, and other regulations.
- Provide strong customer service on an individual basis or
through team members by responding to all accounting inquiries in
an accurate and timely manner from internal and external
- Develop and foster productive working relationships between
accounting team, finance, and budgeting team members, and with
- Perform other duties as assigned Requirements for success:
- Minimum of 8 years of accounting managerial experience and 3
years in not-for-profit accounting. Public accounting experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting. CPA license
- Knowledge of ASU 2018-08 Contributions Made and Received, ASU
2014-09 Revenue from Contracts with Customers, and ASU 2016-14
Not-for-Profit Entities and plan for adoption of ASU 2016-02 Leases
- Experience with implementation of technical accounting guidance
and demonstration of ability to document technical accounting
- Strong technical accounting knowledge, with emphasis on
non-for-profit accounting standards, and the ability to document
- Proven knowledge of accounting theory and practice,
particularly non-profit accounting, and reporting
- Ability to prepare consolidated financial statements in
accordance with GAAP.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications. Microsoft D365
F&SC a plus.
- Experience with Uniform Guidance regulations and
- Strong analytical skills: Attention to detail with focus on
minimizing errors; ability to communicate corrections or changes in
a proactive and productive manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (written and
verbal); ability to communicate proactively regarding project
status, barriers, and possible solutions.
- Demonstrated experience managing, developing, and empowering
staff; must be a strong team player.
- Highly organized with ability to complete multiple high
priority tasks within set deadlines.
- Comfortable with change, and able to react to change
productively and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to accurately apply professional knowledge, skills,
expertise, and judgment to achieve excellent customer service in
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well with fellow team members and build gaps in
relationships between divisions.
- Ability to collaborate with other divisions and provide
excellent customer service to program areas.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC
and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Keywords: PBS, Arlington , Sr. Director & Assistant Controller of Financial Reporting & Program Support, Executive , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!