Special Events Manager
Company: NOVA Parks
Posted on: January 25, 2023
The SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER is responsible for assisting with the
planning, development, coordination, and execution of the
operational management and marketing plans for the Bull Run
Regional Park Special Events Center and the annual Festival of
Lights drive-through light show. Work is performed under the
general direction of the Park Manager with latitude for independent
judgment and action. The Special Events Manager may assume charge
of park operations in the absence of the Park Manager. Annual
performance goals will be set for the Special Events Manager. The
Special Events Manager position is eligible to transfer within the
NOVA Parks system.
Hiring Salary Range: $53,258.46 - 58,438.18 ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
(with illustrative examples of work) Coordinate and oversee Bull
Run Special Events:
- Manage event venues throughout Bull Run Regional Park.
- Respond to verbal and written inquiries for information about
special events and facilities.
- Arrange and provide tours.
- Initiate and carry out contractual agreements and use
- Receive and/or process payments, issue receipts, prepare other
documentation as needed.
- Work closely with in-house and outside event staff.
- Reserve required facilities and ensure readiness for scheduled
- Act as the on-site NOVA Parks management presence during
- Maintain effective relationships with groups such as vendors,
local EMS and law enforcement services, and special user groups.
Coordinate and oversee annual Festival of Lights drive-through
light show and holiday village:
- Coordinate installation and removal of light show displays and
- Implement a staffing plan for the event.
- Work with outside vendors and sponsors.
- Perform daily management functions during the show's
- Implement an effective retail operations plan.
- Manage cash handling procedures, cash receipt reconciliations,
deposits, and merchandise inventory. Market and promote use of
facilities and attendance:
- Develop and implement marketing programs designed to increase
usage for the events center and Festival of Lights
- Develop and maintain list of potential and previous
- Prepare and distribute written literature.
- Actively seek and maintain sponsorship partners. Assist with
management of personnel:
- Interview and hire applicants for seasonal/part-time
- Plan, direct, and control the work of employees in the
operation of park facilities.
- Determine workload, assign priorities, schedule employees, and
- Maintain attendance records and authorize payment of wages
through computerized timekeeping program.
- Develop and implement training programs for employees.
- Analyze and resolve employee work problems through application
and interpretation of Personnel Policies.
- Develop performance standards and indicators and evaluate
employee performance against those standards.
- Ensure adherence to fair and equitable hiring practices.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (minimum) Education: Graduation from an
accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's degree
in park management, Event Planning/Hospitality or closely related
field preferred or an exceptional combination of education,
experience, and training that is equivalent to a four-year degree.
Physical: Non-manual and manual work with strength and dexterity
necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting,
stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable
positions in an office and outdoor settings. Will perform manual
labor in all weather conditions, lift items at or greater than 40
pounds, climb ladders, use tools and operate equipment. Experience:
Two years of progressively responsible experience as special events
planner, or any equivalent combination of education, training, or
experience which provides:
- General knowledge of marketing principles and techniques with
ability to develop and implement an effective, results-driven
- Knowledge of contract practices and procedures.
- Considerable ability to deal courteously and effectively with
the general public and special interest groups.
- Considerable ability to communicate clearly and effectively
with ability to prepare and present accurate reports.
- Ability to acquire comprehensive knowledge of the park,
facilities, and associated user fees.
- Working knowledge of general office practices and procedures
with ability to maintain detailed, organized accounting
- Proficiency with personal computers, with extensive knowledge
of Windows, Word, Excel.
- Knowledge of sound business procedures with ability to
accurately process contractual agreements and deposits.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with
co-workers and partnerships with outside
- Possession of or ability to obtain and maintain driver's
license with safe driving record.
- Availability to work evenings, weekends, and/or special
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of
the position. Duties and responsibilities are designed to be the
essential elements of the job. They do not preclude the performance
of related, or even unrelated, jobs which may be necessary to
properly and efficiently complete all work assignments. NOVA Parks
reserves the right to amend job specifications to meet current
needs. Benefits: This position is a benefit eligible position.
Benefits include medical and dental insurance, life insurance,
long-term disability, retirement plan, and more. Testing: The
Special Events Manager position is classified as a safety sensitive
position. Candidates for full-time, safety sensitive positions must
submit to a pre-employment drug screening and achieve a negative
result as a condition of employment. It is the policy of NOVA Parks
to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color,
national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political
affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection,
and hiring of its workforce. Reasonable accommodations are
available to persons with disabilities during application and/or
interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Contact 703-352-5900 for assistance. PI201497680
Keywords: NOVA Parks, Arlington , Special Events Manager, Executive , Centreville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!