Director of Events, Business Development
Posted on: January 22, 2023
1 big thing : Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to
providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an
audience-first format. We're hiring a Director of Events, Business
Development to manage the daily sales pipeline and work closely
with our Client Partnerships team for our growing events business.
This role will be responsible for the full lifecycle of each new
event opportunity - from vetting RFPs to making strategic
recommendations, coordinating with internal stakeholders on
creative strategies, writing proposals, developing decks for both
inbound and proactive opportunities, and pitching event products in
partnership with the Client Partnership sales team
Why it matters: Axios events are typically sponsored. Client
management and a strong pipeline of potential sponsors are
essential to build and scale our event business across markets and
formats. We need a strong Director to oversee the event sales
pipeline and client relationships in pre-sale deliverables.
Go deeper : This role has relationship-management and operational
responsibilities and will often manage the pre-sale deliverables
for multiple concurrent events while moving at a fast pace. You
will work cross-collaboratively with sales and events leadership at
Axios and will serve as an ambassador to Axios and the events team
during client interactions.
The details : Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial
spirit, and a passion for Axios' mission, and have the following
- 5+ years of high volume, fast-paced business development
experience, preferably in media or events.
- Proven track record of client/relationship management
- Demonstrated experience managing RFPs, including developing
timelines, assigning roles and responsibilities, tracking progress
and ensuring proposal delivery on-time
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with
partners, identifying adjacencies to expand new business
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience supporting or mentoring junior team members
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in a high-pressure
- Desire to work hard, learn new skills, and grow
- Willingness to work early mornings and late nights
- Project management software experience is a plus (i.e.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits :
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios "Family Fund", which was created to allow
employees to request financial support when facing financial
hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discounts
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Base salary for this role is in the range of
$100,000.00-$125,000.00 and is dependent on numerous factors,
including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills.
This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to
diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit
discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color,
sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender
expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic
information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as
outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our
organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training,
and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on
qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Keywords: Axios, Arlington , Director of Events, Business Development, Executive , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!