Vice President, Security, Resilience and Energy Solutions
Company: American Public Power Association
Posted on: November 26, 2022
The American Public Power Association (APPA) is looking for a
Vice President, Security, Resilience and Energy Solutions. This
individual will provide strategic and operational implementation
management oversight to enable APPA to provide guidance and
expertise in the areas of electrical transmission and distribution
systems; new energy technologies; distributed generation; physical
and cyber security, mutual aid, and safety procedures and
equipment. Represents the Association, as required, before
regulatory agencies, the press, interested organizations, the
academic community, and the general public. Provides APPA members
value and insight in all resilience, security and grid
modernization areas through articles, speeches, blogs, membership
in national committees, facilitating listservs and any other avenue
to ensure transfer of knowledge. Develops and delivers programming
and services for members in areas of grid operations, resilience,
and research, development and deployment. Oversees and helps to
manages department staff.
Please note: This is not a remote position. Candidates must be in
DC, Maryland, or Virginia area. APPA offers a flexible work
schedule for full-time employees and the option for telework is
available after (3) months of employment (with supervisor
approval). Direct hire only, no agency
Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the SVP and other senior leaders, helps determine the
strategic direction for the department including understanding
industry trends and federal government alignment.
- Acts as a deputy to the SVP and provides complex administrative
support to facilitate day-to-day operations of the department.
- At the direction of the SVP, helps supervise the work and
activities of the department including providing training, setting
project goals/outcomes, performing evaluations, and structuring
work efforts to achieve optimal programmatic outcomes.
- Directly supervises director and manager level staff, and
indirectly oversees all accompanying engineering services
- Analyzes industry issues and trends to anticipate and prepare
for the defense and advancement of public power's interests.
- Develops unique mechanisms for propagation and advancement of
- Facilitates the development of and responsible for oversight of
overall budgets, functions, and outcomes from security, operations,
and R&D staff and programs.
- Oversees and monitors all Cooperative Agreements between APPA
and the Department of Energy (DOE).
- As appropriate, represents APPA before groups involved in
system design, resilience and security, energy efficiency and
health and safety which may include NESC, NEC, OSHA, EPA, DOE, DHS,
FBI DOE, IEEE, OMB, DOL, FMCSA, etc.
- Provides industry wide innovation in public power's national
reliability and safety efforts including providing technical
leadership as needed.
- Represents APPA before other associations tied to issues APPA
- Analyzes utility involvement in innovation, integration of
municipal services, and adoption of new technologies.
- Conceives, develops, and oversees technical programs on
fast-emerging topics for APPA workshops, conferences, and webinars
including national conference, committee meetings/summits, and
utility education courses.
- Partners with the internal education department to host APPA
- Provides assistance to association committees and staff where
- Makes speeches and writes articles for APPA publications.
- Undertakes assignments as directed by the Senior Vice
President, Grid Security, Technical and Operations Services.
- Coordinates internal working groups as issues arise in the
engineering, operations, and R&D space.
- Oversees the Cyber & Physical Preparedness (CAPP) and the
Research & Development (R&D) strategic initiatives within the
association Strategic Work Plan.
- Degree from 4-year college or university. Major coursework in
science or engineering preferred but not required.
- Security clearance preferred.
- 10 to 15 years of experience in the electric utility industry
which may include working in industry, government, or another trade
- Ability to lead one or more complex functional areas of
critical importance to the success of the organization.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to drive
performance from all areas within the department.
- Technical experience with utility energy services, renewable
energy, and energy storage with emphasis on commercial and
- Experience or familiarity with the operation of electric
utilities, including applicable regulations from OSHA, DOL, FMCSA,
DOE, EPA, DHS, etc.
- Ability to lead interdepartmental and industry wide teams and
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with
personnel of member utilities, federal agencies, utility interest
groups and other professional organizations.
- Ability to manage personnel, technical and non-technical, in
assisting APPA member organizations.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in
- Ability to work independently and to organize and manage
interdepartmental working groups. PandoLogic. , Location:
Arlington, VA - 22202 , PL:
Keywords: American Public Power Association, Arlington , Vice President, Security, Resilience and Energy Solutions, Executive , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!