Chief Advocacy & Engagement Officer
Company: National Council on Aging
Posted on: November 25, 2022
National Council on Aging
Looking to innovate, grow, and make a positive impact on the lives
of others? Join a nonprofit service and advocacy organization whose
mission is to improve the lives of older adults, especially those
who are struggling. We Are NCOA and we believe every person
deserves to age well. That's why we're on a path to improve the
lives of 40 million older adults by 2030. The National Council on
Aging, a national voice for every American's right to age well, has
an exciting opportunity for a Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer
, in its Arlington, VA/Crystal City office. The Chief Advocacy and
Engagement Officer will provide strategic and operational oversight
of NCOA's advocacy, engagement, research, and public policy
activities. The incumbent has the responsibility for driving the
organization's social mission and expanding NCOA's footprint on
public policy and in communities across the country. It is expected
that the incumbent will lead government affairs and legislative
campaigns, and manage public policy efforts through research,
tracking, analysis, and reporting of Congressional outreach,
institutional partnerships, and grassroots and grasstops
engagements. Key responsibilities include the following:
- Work with leadership team to develop, implement, direct, and
review NCOA's policy agenda and strategic planning
- Proactively analyze and monitor federal statutes that can
assist the department in carrying out its policy initiatives.
- In coordination with the Government Relations & Advocacy
Principal, successfully advocate for, and implement policy ideas
into legislation and regulation at all levels of government.
- Build NCOA's capacity to improve our impact with target
populations by addressing social determinants through the design of
policy ideas that will turn into effective legislation/programs
which promote quality aging for all.
- Lead NCOA's effort to be the conveners of leaders to address
our Equity Promise for all aging Americans.
- Plan and conduct advocacy campaigns to influence public policy
and leverage public and private funding.
- Oversee the execution of qualitative and quantitative research
to the highest standards to develop appropriate policy ideas,
briefs and reports which reflect NCOA's insights.
- Develop policy white papers, fact sheets, and action alerts for
major policy campaigns.
- Oversee grassroots and grasstops mobilization efforts, bringing
together constituents, community and neighborhood organizations,
and local leaders to address impactful priorities.
- Expand and deepen participation of NCOA partners and
stakeholders, activating supporters for various policy goals.
- Direct projects and task forces related to our Equity Promise
and policies that will reduce the impacts of social determinants of
- Oversee evaluation efforts related to tracking our social
impact and programmatic outcomes.
- Research and analyze emerging aging policies and systems change
issues to inform NCOA strategy and to be leveraged in outward
facing thought leadership engagements.
- Diversify and grow unrestricted funding sources that will
support capacity building and social impact goals, especially
related to the advocacy, research, and community activation
- Perform other duties as required. Professional
- Master's degree in Public Policy, a Juris Doctorate, or other
related field and 15+ years of relevant advocacy, engagement,
strategy, and public policy experience.
- 10+ years of experience in a senior management role with a
demonstrated track record of working closely with executive
management and being an effective networker with experience
establishing strong collaborative relationships with leaders.
- Demonstrated success leading advocacy initiatives, including
building consensus among a diverse range of partners in the
formulation of policy strategy.
- Strong organizational, strategic planning and project
- Knowledge of the use of law and policy for population
improvement at all levels of government and the ability of vision,
creative thinking, and sense of urgency necessary to achieve the
successful implementation of NCOA's strategic mission.
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills. NCOA
is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work
environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals
and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied
without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age,
disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status,
citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
law. NCOA believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates
is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and
retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Keywords: National Council on Aging, Arlington , Chief Advocacy & Engagement Officer, Executive , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!