Chief of Staff to the CEO
Company: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Posted on: September 18, 2022
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Chief of Staff is an
integral member of the Leadership Team, enhancing the
organizational and strategic effectiveness of the entire
organization. The Chief of Staff will ensure an appropriate balance
of initiatives internally and externally to ensure that MSH
maximally delivers against its mission, executes against its
current and future strategy, and honors its commitments to
addressing health disparities and advancing diversity, equity, and
inclusion (DEI). The Chief of Staff will help organize and manage
the leadership team's (LT) corporate-wide workstreams, including
planning and monitoring the Office of the CEO's budget, the LT
workplan and CEO commitments. The Chief of staff will supervise the
Board Liaison, overseeing administrative functions performed by the
Office of the CEO. The Chief of Staff will also organize and
support external engagements of the CEO and substitute for the CEO
at key external commitments as needed.
The Chief of Staff must be able to demonstrate an ability to
effectively communicate with authority at the C-level and to
resource and manage cross-functional teams. The Chief of Staff must
also have a strong external presence and be able to speak credibly
about healthcare and healthcare development. A passion for health
and health equity and organizational excellence are critical. The
Chief of Staff must be able to manage budgets and complex work
plans and be comfortable handling complex and sensitive personnel
and organizational issues. A background in DEI is highly preferred
but not required.
Operational Practice Standards (50%)
- Oversee CEO priorities and activities, including board
interactions and communications.
- Organize and prioritize major enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Oversee and manage public speaking, administrative, financial,
and operational activities for the CEO, ensuring the CEO is
informed of upcoming events, commitments and responsibilities and
ensuring appropriate and timely follow up. Stand in for the CEO
- Establish and maintain effective working and liaison
relationships with the MSH Leadership Team as well as key internal
and external stakeholders, donors, partners and similar. Lend
collaborative and liaison support to members of the Leadership Team
and key staff throughout the organization
- Support the planning processes related to organizational
operations, strategy, budget, and goals.
- Support the CEO on HR-related matters related to staff
management, promotion, hiring, etc.
- Develop a work plan for the CEO office, including an external
engagement plan, execution towards strategy, board management, and
- Prioritize and, as needed, lead enterprise-wide initiatives to
advance MSH strategically, increase impact, and improve
- Facilitate the integration required across often disparate
stakeholders who may need further clarity, alignment, and
involvement to directly impact the desired goals.
- Lead the implementation of MSH's DEI roadmap and any other
initiatives that hold the organization accountable for improvement
- In partnership with key stakeholders, develop and implement a
DEI strategy on overall business practices including talent
management, company culture, community engagement, and event
planning and execution.
- Ensure the Office of the CEO and MSH maintains a consistent
pace of improvements in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Serve as a public face for MSH's work and a focal point for
input into how to continue to improve.
- Postgraduate degree in communications, business, social
sciences, foreign language, or related field.
- At least seven years of experience working in project
- At least two years in a global health environment.
- Prior experience with government, policy maker and/or donor
- Highly experienced in managing cross-functional projects.
- 10 or more years of related experience.
- Strong understanding of and experience with executive
- Experience leading or project managing DEI initiatives.
Knowledge and Skills
- Executive presence: ability to quickly earn credibility with
senior and executive leaders.
- Strong program and project management skills. Knowledge of
strategy and strategy execution.
- Experience supporting implementation of multiple workstream
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate management of complex
activities in a matrix organization environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a
demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with a diverse
population including external partners, business leaders, heads of
state, board directors, senior management, staff, clients, and
representatives from other organizations.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to construct, adapt and manage program and
project budgets in complex and changing environments.
- Ability to influence and motivate senior staff without line
- Language skills in French highly preferred.
- Ability to lead cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated organizational, planning, and time management
skills. Excellent problem-solving abilities for complex
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and organizational
- Ability to work flexibly, collaboratively, and independently in
a complex and diverse organization and in a variety of cultural
- Demonstrated competence to handle a variety of activities with
attention to detail and quality and with minimal direction and
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully
in a team environment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
(up to 25% of the time)
MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate
against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity,
religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status,
or disability unrelated to job requirements. MSH will take
affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed
and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, veteran and disability status. In compliance with U.S.
Department of Labor Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the
Rehabilitation Act, and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era
Readjustment Assistance Act, MSH has developed and maintains an
affirmative action program and plan.
EEO is the Law - English
EEO is the Law - Spanish
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
MSH EEO-AA Policy
Keywords: Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Arlington , Chief of Staff to the CEO, Executive , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!