Director of Safety and Operations Services
Company: American Public Power Association
Posted on: February 25, 2021
APPA's Technical and Operations Services department is looking
for a Director of Safety and Operations Services to lead, provide
technical oversight of, and manage staff work on APPA's safety and
operations-related services including the APPA Safety Manual and
associated task force(s), the Industry Standards Committee, the
APPA Lineworkers Rodeo, Safety data collection programs (eSafety
Tracker and Safety Awards), the mutual aid working group and
related network coordinators program.
A few highlights about this position:
*You'll get to oversee the development of industry standards for
*You'd be helping utilities discover patterns and write rules for
*You'll be helping to develop and facilitate premier training and
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the development of analytical operations and safety
work with the goal of improving safety rules and utility
operations, including disseminating related benchmarking data and
- Monitoring the OSHA, DOT, and DOL for proposed rules that might
affect the Association's membership in areas such as safety and
- Collaborating in the preparation of statements of work for
programs as required. Preparing solicitation and contract documents
as needed and overseeing their execution.
- Collaborating with members and industry trade associations on
safety and operations related services.
- Providing subject matter expertise in electric utility safety,
operations, mutual aid, and lineworker training policies and
procedures and being capable of communicating on those topics
through meetings, written documentation, and oral
- Working with minimal supervision and in a team environment to
ensure completion of projects and success of programs.
- Responsible for oversight of, and staff work on, Lineworkers
Rodeo, Mutual-aid Working Group, Safety Manual Revision Task Force,
Safety Awards, Safety Tracker, and other programs as needed.
Manages and oversees project work on utility operations-related
research and development projects, and case studies as
- Oversees staff work on safety and operations-related member
surveys, performs statistical data analysis and collection, and
prepares timely and informative reports for members as needed.
The ideal candidate would:
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Environmental Safety, Occupational
Safety and Health, program management, business or public
administration, technical management, information systems,
engineering, or related fields.
- Have in-depth knowledge of the U.S. distribution grid,
including familiarity operations, disaster response, safety, energy
principles, and methodologies.
- Be knowledgeable of utility industry standards, practices,
safety and operation;
- Be able to undertake and problem solve on projects;
- Have the ability to manage a team to achieve successful
- Be detail oriented;
- Be a team player.
American Public Power Association is an equal opportunity
Keywords: American Public Power Association, Arlington , Director of Safety and Operations Services, Executive , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!