Editor In Chief
Company: Navy League of the United States
Posted on: November 25, 2022
We are looking for a passionate and highly motivated
Editor-in-Chief, Seapower Magazine who will be responsible in every
area of Seapower, from writing and editing to production and
printing. Seapower is the marquee publication of the Navy League of
the United States --published 8 times a year, it is distributed to
an international membership of more than 33,000 and can be found in
the Pentagon, in the Halls of Congress, and in military
installations around the world. The Editor-in-Chief provides the
primary "air traffic control" for Seapower, ensuring that all the
elements that go into the magazine every month - editorial,
photographs, ads - get where they need to go, pages are produced,
proofed, and revised and finished pages are delivered to the
printer and approved within each monthly deadline. The
Editor-in-Chief maintains constant communications among the various
departments during the production cycle. This position reports to
the Navy League CEO and requires some in-office attendance when
needed to fulfill job responsibilities. Must be able to commute to
the Arlington area. Full benefits package.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate all areas of production of Seapower - editorial,
advertising, graphic design and printing - and is liaison with each
- to maintain page flow and ensure magazine is completed under
deadline and within Seapower editorial standards.
- Edit all copy and proof all pages, write headlines/captions,
- Position all editorial and advertising material within the
magazine each month.
- Coordinate with freelance writers and staff to compile monthly
story lists, and provide the information to the advertising
- Establish/create imposition for each month's magazine based on
advertising space/editorial content, and maintain imposition as
content revisions are made.
- Compile, or write for Seapower departments including Maritime
Matters, Council Digest, In My Own Words and Program Snapshot
- Write feature stories and conduct interviews as needed.
- Find and select/purchase photographs/artwork for cover, and
inside pages and writes captions as needed.
- Approve final pages for printing.
- Reformat and send mailing list to printer.
- Coordinate positing of digital edition with vendor.
- Compile and coordinate creation of the annual Media Kit
- Compile Flag officer section of the January Almanac.
- Attend and report on trade shows, briefings, conferences and
Navy League events
- Edit, process, write and post briefs and photos for the
- Post digital ads as needed to Seapower website and assist with
website templates edits.
- Responsible for the department's work schedule, including the
publication of Navy League's magazine and annual plans for other
publications for meetings and conferences.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and at least 10 years of
research, writing, editing, design/layout and proofreading
experience in a professional capacity, preferably in a
- Demonstrated writing ability and research skills.
- Ability to interview sources for articles and to interface with
Navy League members, the military and company officials.
- Demonstrated proofreading skills with an acute eye for
- Firm grasp on rules of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Familiarity with Associated Press style manual.
- Knowledge of and interest in a broad spectrum of defense
- Ability to quickly shift gears and deal with a wide variety of
tasks and responsibilities in an organized manner.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Familiarity with social media/web tools.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and/or other publishing
related programs, particularly InCopy.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- to work in a diverse workplace with diverse colleagues and
- to maintain a professional attitude while working under
- to work independently as well as in a team environment, but
with respect to the chain of command.
ATTRIBUTES FOR SUCCESS:
The Navy League is looking for a candidate who demonstrates the
- People-First. To each other, our members, partners and vendors,
we are respectful, responsive, flexible, timely, dependable and
accountable so that our work together is efficient, effective and
creates maximum impact on the lives of people and issues we
- Motivated. We don't just take what's given to us and implement.
We are curious, informed and continually pursue growth and learning
about the world around us.
- Impactful. Success is in the details; the amount of trust we
foster; and consistency in delivering creative, quality-driven
- Truthful. Integrity, accountability, and transparency define
our reputation. Since truthfulness is the basis of lasting
relationships, we value learning from our mistakes because it makes
us better practitioners working in a healthy team environment.
- Friendly + Fun. We value each other's time, talents,
personalities, unique contributions, and life beyond work, which is
why we look for ways to lend a hand, share a laugh and/or applaud
one another's achievements.
Keywords: Navy League of the United States, Arlington , Editor In Chief, Advertising , Arlington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!